Coconut Flour Pancakes (Recipe)
When we ditched the grains, pancakes were one of the biggest foods my kids missed. We’ve seen so many health improvements that we definitely won’t be going back to the traditional version any time soon, but it has been on my list to figure out a healthy, real food pancake recipe for my family.
This effort was renewed when my daughter ate “regular” pancakes at someone’s house one day and had a tummy ache for the next two days.
I tried sweet potato pancakes, almond flour pancakes, and several variations of coconut flour pancakes before realizing that the recipe was right in front of me. Turns out (as I found out on a busy morning) that the recipe for my Coconut Flour Apple Cinnamon Muffins can actually be made into pancakes as well.
If you don’t add the cinnamon, these guys also make pretty good “bread” for a breakfast sandwich with eggs and bacon. Also, try adding bananas, blueberries, etc. for some fun pancake variations!
Coconut Flour Pancakes
Prep time 5 mins
Cook time 10 mins
Grain free coconut flour pancakes that are packed with protein for a healthy and filling breakfast.
Author: Wellness Mama
Recipe type: Breakfast
- 5 eggs (free range if possible)
- 1 cup of applesauce
- ½ cup coconut flour (plus a little more if you need it to thicken)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Cinnamon to taste (optional)
- ¼ cup butter or coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla (optional)
- favorite add-ins and toppings of choice (we like adding blueberries and topping with butter or homemade cream)
- 2 T honey (optional)
- Heat large skillet or pancake griddle
- Mix all ingredients except any add-ins with blender, whisk or immersion blender and let sit 5 minutes to thicken.
- Add berries, bananas, or other add-ins and mix by hand
- Grease griddle or skillet with coconut oil or butter
- Use a ¼ cup measure to spoon pancakes onto cooking surface
- Cook approximately 2-3 minutes per side until it bubbles and is easy to flip. These do take a little longer than “regular” pancakes, so don’t rush them!
- Top with butter (it makes everything better!) and enjoy
By Katie Wells
(Source: wellnessmama.com; June 30, 2016; http://tinyurl.com/hpz5dj6)