Flax Seed Oil
By Valerie Robitaille
Flax Seed Oil comes from a blue flowering plant that is grown on the Western Canadian Prairies for its oil rich seeds. This natural oil (also known as Linseed Oil) is highly recommended for the general well being and whole body nutrition and is considered to be nature’s richest source of omega-3 fatty acids (approximately 50% more omega-3 oils than what you could get from taking fish oil, minus that horrible “fishy” after taste) that are required for the health of almost all body systems. Flax Seed Oil also contains omega-6 and omega-9 essential fatty acids, B vitamins, potassium, lecithin, magnesium, fiber, protein, and zinc and also provides.
Some nutritionists, researchers, and scientists believe that it could be the most important health-promoting supplement next to a multi-vitamin. Nearly every system in the body can benefit from flax seed oil’s natural properties, including the cardiovascular system, immune system, circulatory system, reproductive system, nervous system, as well as joints.
Just look at this list of facts and studies of what Flax Seed Oil can and may accomplish:
– Research shows low incidence of breast cancer and colon cancer in populations that have high amounts of lignan in their diet. Flax is 100 times richer in lignan than most whole grains.
– Studies show that Omega-3 fatty acids help lower cholesterol and blood triglycerides, and prevent clots in arteries, which may result in strokes, heart attacks and thromboses.
– Helps protect the body against high blood pressure, inflammation, water retention, sticky platelets and lowered immune function.
– Shortens recovery time for fatigued muscles after exertion.
– Increases the body’s production of energy and also increases stamina.
– Eases weight loss in people afflicted with obesity.
– Stimulates brown fat cells and increases the metabolic rate making it easier to burn off fat.
– Improves the absorption of Calcium.
– Strengthens finger and toenails.
– Can improve eyesight and perception of colors.
– Can relieve the side effects and stop development of many forms of cancer.
– Helpful in the treatment of Eczema, Psoriasis, and Dandruff.
– Can relieve the symptoms of Rheumatoid Arthritis. It can relieve the symptoms of Diabetes Mellitus.
– Can alleviate some allergies.
– Helps prevent Atherosclerosis (the accumulation of fatty deposits inside the blood vessels, especially the large and medium-sized arteries, that many people experience during the aging process).
– Lowers high blood pressure in Hypertension sufferers.
– Has been scientifically proven to treat some cases of depression.
– And more…!
It’s important to buy high-quality flax seed oil as it is prone to rancidity. Light and oxygen will slowly breakdown the essential fatty acids. Look for flax seed oil in dark bottles as these are more resistant to the light and oxygen. I recommend Omega Nutrition Flax Oil. Make sure you refrigerate your flax seed oil to help extend its shelf life.
Flax seed oil takes a bit of time to be absorbed into the body before the full beneficial effects begin, ranging anywhere from a few days to as many as six weeks, depending on your overall well-being. Add Flax Seed to your diet and watch what it will do for you!