SODIUM LAUREL SULFATE
Some time ago I discovered SLS (Sodium Lauryl Sulphate) in the soap that I had used for ages, and how manufacturers included it to make more lather. I did more research and here’s what I found: it’s not just used in soaps; it’s in toothpastes, shampoos and just about every other personal cleaning product offered on local store shelves.
Read what this “industrial degreaser” (also used to clean garage floors, by the way) can do to your body:
- Erodes the skin, leaving it rough and literally pitted!
- May stop the normal healing process
- In children, may retard eye development
- May create cataracts
- Stores in the heart, liver and brain and may cause disease
- Can cause eczema, psoriasis and mouth ulcers!
- Erodes hair follicles and may cause premature hair loss
- Leaves skin open to a whole host of other problems
I couldn’t believe what I was reading! Cataracts? Heart Disease? Mouth ulcers! But I was just trying to keep my family clean and healthy! After I caught my breath, I started feeling guilty. I truly believed I was a good wife, mother… and shopper… by purchasing those bargain soaps and shampoos from my local grocery store. Sure, I might have saved some money… but at what cost to my family’s health?
If I’ve learned anything so far, it’s this:
Everything that is applied to the skin or hair is absorbed into the bloodstream. (EVERYTHING being the optimal word.)