Dr. David Zava, ZRT Labs
Testing Hormones in Saliva
Why do we test hormones in saliva? Steroid hormones in the bloodstream are 95-99% bound to carrier proteins, and in this form are unavailable to target tissues. Saliva testing measures the amount of hormone available to target tissues – the bioavailable amount. For this reason, saliva testing better relates to specific symptoms of excess or deficiency, and is a good option for monitoring hormone therapy.
Saliva testing is used for measuring hormones like cortisol, estrogen and testosterone. Non-invasive collection (spit into a plastic tube). This sampling method allows individuals to collect saliva at home at specific times, which is important for accurately measuring hormone levels.
Descriptions for the following tests appear in drop down menu. See abbreviations below.
Female/Male Saliva Profile I
Female/Male Saliva Profile II
Female/Male Saliva Profile III
Adrenal Stress Profile
Cortisol Awakening Response
Diurnal Cortisol (C1, C2, C3, C4)
$125.00 – $260.00
- The test kit is sent directly to you along with instructions.
- You send completed kit and forms back to ZRT (all shipping is paid).
- ZRT will email your results directly to you alone.
The results are clear but should you need help interpreting your test you can schedule an appointment for a consultation. Please click below to contact Valerie Robitaille, MS, PhD(c), Holistic Nutritionist
Saliva testing has been scientifically established as a highly accurate medium for measuring hormone levels equivalent to conventional blood testing. In fact, in 2012 alone over 600 hundred studies were published in peer-reviewed journals using saliva analysis of hormones.
Findings of note include:
• Saliva testosterone levels shows excellent correlation
to free serum testosterone in men
• Estradiol and progesterone saliva/serum correlations are consistently observed throughout pre- and postmenopausal concentration ranges
• Salivary cortisol is the method of choice for Cushing’s diagnosis and stress assessment
• Saliva estradiol/progesterone is effective for
monitoring of menstrual cycles and frequently used in fertility studies
Ample scientific evidence demonstrates that saliva testing is as accurate as serum. It has the additional advantage of being convenient and non-invasive.